Athletes in Action (AIA) is a strategy of CCCSA and is described on the CCCSA website as:
Helping create a movement of sport influences through evangelism and discipleship Athletes in Action builds on society’s great love of sports and uses it as platform to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ. “Victory Beyond Competition”
Here is the AIA’s focus for 2023 and some news from their team leader, Russ Throckmorton:
Our focus for this year is “EXPAND”.
- Expand our Gospel reach.
- Expand our influence within the world of sports.
- Expand our social media impact.
In early March, we hosted a team of eleven student-athletes and three AIA staff from three universities in the States who helped us do just that. These students chose to spend their spring break helping us build the KINGDOM.
Some highlights from their time with us were:
- Hosting a kick-off social for athletes at Stellenbosch University with 20 athletes showing up.
- Having 20 plus names of athletes who are interested in connecting with AIA here in South Africa.
- Serving alongside a ministry at a local congregation one morning (roughly 80 kids from a local community)
- Hosting the team for a “traditional South Africa braai ” and exposing them to the culture of South Africa.
- Seeing 2 athletes get baptized.
- An opportunity for an MLS (Major League Soccer) soccer player from Zimbabwe to share how he worships God through sport with a local soccer academy school.
- Creating spaces for these athletes to learn to have spiritual conversations.
- Painting a picture of God’s heart for the NATIONS.
Please pray for the South African AIA team and pray that long-lasting FRUIT will be produced after the US outreach.